Decide for yourself.
The following are verses from the Koran by two different translators.
The Meaning of the Glorious Koran, Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall, Mentor Books, The New American Library of World Literature, Inc., 501 Madison Avenue, New York, NY, Ninth Printing, 1961.
Surah 9:29: Fight against such as those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor in the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the religion of truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.
Surah 5:33: The only reward of those who made war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom; 34: Save those who repent before ye overpower them. For know that Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
Surah 4:34: Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them [men] to excel the other [women], and because they [men] spend of their property (for the support of women), So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those [women] from whom ye [men] fear rebellion, admonish them [women] and banish them [women] to beds apart, and scourge [beat/whip] them [women]. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High Exalted, Great.
NOTE: Scourge = To Beat.
The American Heritage Dictionary:
Scourge: Noun: 1. A whip used to inflict punishment. 2. Any
means of inflicting punishment. 3. A cause of affliction, as pestilence or
Verb: 1. To flog. 2. To chastise severely; excoriate. 3. To devastate; ravage. [From Latin: escourgier, to whip]
The Random House Dictionary:
Scourge: Noun: 1. A whip used on human beings. 2. A person
or thing that harasses or destroys.
Verb: 3. To whip with a scourge. 4. To punish or criticize severely.
by Robert L. Johnson
Surah 9:29: "Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection."
Surah 5:33: "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His apostle and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement."
Surah 4:34: "Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some
of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the
good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded;
and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave
them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you,
do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."
We read (IX. 5-6):“Kill those who join other gods with God wherever you may find them”;
IV.76: “Those who believe fight in the cause of God”;
VIII.39-42: “Say to the Infidels: if they desist from their unbelief, what is now past shall be forgiven; but if they return to it, they have already before them the doom of the ancients! Fight then against them till strife be at an end, and the religion be all of it God’s.
IV.74: “Let those who fight in the cause of God who barter the life of this world for that which is to come; for whoever fights on God’s path, whether he is killed or triumphs, We will give him a handsome reward.”
*Torment to Non-believers->IV.56
* Only Islam Acceptable-> III.85
* No friends from outsiders->III.118
* No friends with Jews, Christians->V. 51
* No friends with non believers->IV.144, III.28
* No friends with parents/siblings if not believers->IX.23
* Fight non-believers->IX.123
* Kill non-believers->IV.89
* Anti Jewish verses->V.82
* God a "plotter"->VIII.30
* Killing Idolators->IX.5
* Idolators are unclean just because they are idolator->IX.28
* Forcing non-believers to pay tax->IX.29
* The Torment of Hell->XLIV.43-58
* All except Muslims/Jews/Christians/Sabeans will go to hell->II.62, V.69
* Cast terror in the hearts, smite the neck and cut fingertips of unbelievers->VIII.12
* Smite the neck of unbelievers->XLVII.4
* Severe Punishment for atheists->X.4 ; V.10 ; V.86
* Severe Punishment for non-believers->XXII.19-22 ; LXXII.23, XCVIII.6
* Punishing non-believers of Hereafter->XVII.10
* Punishing for rejecting faith->III.91
* Non believers go to hell->IV.140 ; VII.36
* Partial Believers go to hell too->IV.150-1
* Sadistic punishments->LVI.42-43
* Punishment for apostates->XVI.106 ; III.86-88 ; III.90 ; IV.137.
* Threat of punishement for not going to war->IX.38-39, XLVIII.16
* God making someone more sinful so he can be punished more->III178
* Intentionally preventing unbelievers from knowing the truth->VI.25 ; VI.110
* Intentionally preventing unbelievers from Understanding Quran->XVII.45-46
* It is God who causes people to err and He punishes them for that->XVII.97
* God could guide, if he chose to, but did not->VI.35
* Intentionally misguiding those whom he pleases to->XIV.4
* Willfully misguiding some->XVI.93
* God causes human to err->IV.143 ; VII.178
* God deceiving humans->IV.142
Furthermore, it is surely totally irrational to continue to believe that the Qur’an is the word of God when the slightest amount of rational thought will reveal that the Qur’an contains words and passages addressed to God (e.g. VI.104; VI.114; XVII.1; XXVII.91; LXXXI.15-29; lxxxiv.16-19; etc.); or that it is full of historical errors and inconsistencies.
For more inre the violent verses of the Koran, see the following: